Cheap fridges can be picked up online from many large reputable UK retailers. Typically you can save about 30% on refurbished and damaged fridges but often you can save even more. Everything you need to know about where to buy, and how to get the most efficient and hygienic fridge for less is below.
Freezers 4 star rating explained
Not all freezers where created equal. Check the standard 4 star rating used across Europe to grade freezers. Freezers are rated from 1 star to 4 depending on how they perform. 4 stars being the highest rating. Fresh food (dependant on type, i.e. meat, vegetables, fruit etc) will stay fresh in a freezer for 3-12 months if is kept below -18 °C. Only fridges with a three star rating and above will offer this temperature. It is a common misconception that food is safe if it is frozen but many bacteria that cause food to decay can live at temperature below the freezing point (0°C).
Use the definitions below to work out what you need.
- 1 star The minimum operating temperature is -6 °C. Pre-frozen food can be stored for up to one week.
- 2 star Will Operate at -12 °C allowing pre-frozen food to be store for one month.
- 3 star Operating temperature is -18 °C or below. Pre frozen food can be stored up to 12 months depending on type.
- 4 star These are the only fridges designed to freeze fresh (none-frozen) foods. Although they run at the same recommended -18 °C as the 3 star fridges they will have a fast freeze function which can lower the freezer down to -26 °C if it needs to. This is useful when you are introducing new foods at room temperature to the freezer. With out a fast freeze setting the new food could raise the temperature of the freezer and negatively effecting freshness of the food that is already frozen.
European Union Energy Label (refrigeration) Explained
In Europe fridges and freezer are all rated for energy efficiency using one system. It is important to get the most energy efficient fridge that you can not only to help minimise our impact on the environment but also to save you money. People often forget that a fridge is probably the only thing in your house you will never turn off and generally people only buy new ones when they brake or become obsolete.
The rating is worked out from the amount of energy used per set volume. So remember that a bigger fridge may still use more power even if it’s rating is higher. Fridges and freezers are rated from A+++ (the most efficient) to G (the least efficient)
The Numbers are some what meaningless unless your are a scientist or mathematical but what we can see is that the most efficient fridges use at least 6 times less energy than the worst rated. Now that’s food for thought.
Energy Efficiently Index results for each rating: A+++<22 A++<30 A+<42/44 A<55 B<75 C<95 D<110 E<125 F<15o G>150
To read more about energy efficiently check out the Wikipedia page.
Top 3 cheap fridge outlets.
- Comet Clearance offers an auction system, which allows you to place bids on all sorts of items including fridges and freezers. If you’re looking to buy on this site it might be worth watching a few items first. See what sort of price they go for so you can gauge if you are getting the best deal. If you’re lucky enough to buy on a quiet day you may pick up a real barging. It’s worth noting that loads of their stock is brand new to so it’s a great place to pick up a bargain!
- Argos Clearance has a wide variety of items at discounted prices. You can get up to a third off fridges and fridge freezers. It is remember that discounted items are not covered by the 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. They also offer finance but bare in mind if you to take out finance you may pay a fair bit more in the long run once interested has been accounted for.
- Debenhams Sale. Debenhams are currently offering a clearance sale to get rid of stock. There are some very nice fridges, including designer makes. All at discounted prices. Worth taking a look while you can!